We headed to the store this morning to get some shrub fixin’ fixings. 3 lbs of kiwi fruit cost 5.49 and I found it yielded, along with the juice they deposited on my shirt, roughly 3 3/4 Cups of fruit.
I let the fruit sit overnight in a Pyrex container with about 1 C of white, non GMO sugar and when I checked it this morning the fruit had produced a bounty of sugary juice. The juice tasted like straight kiwi; a perfectly balanced, sweetly sour lush and hardy pulp. The sourness did not assault my flavor buds (thanks, buds!) and the impression of the sweetness was delicate. Seems perfect for the kiwi shrub.
The traditional shrub recipes I had been following offered a ratio of sugar to fruit that was often too sweet for me and I was hardly tasting the fruit juice. Once I married the sugar/juice concoction to the vinegar, while the taste was familiarly fruity, I wasn’t able to discern what fruit I was drinking a lot of the time.
My experiment with the kiwi shrub was to test the sugar and vinegar ratios to the fruit juice and this seems to be working at this stage. I taste much more fruit than previous attempts.
The overnight and straining of the fruit yielded about 1 C of fruit juice for the shrub base. I was hoping for more.
But you can see in the bowl there is still some liquid even though I used a slotted spoon to dig out the pulp. Andre likes to use the left over fruit for his morning oatmeal, which I call groats. This is what we use the left over sugared fruit for. Andre’s groats. Groatmeal.
I put the left over fruit into the food processor and gave it several pulses. The result was about another 1/2 C of juice. After eating few spoonfuls of the kiwi pulp I put the rest in a Pyrex container for Andre’s groats.
Since the purpose of this shrub experiment was to play with the types of vinegars and the vinegar to fruit juice ratio, I took 1/4 C of the juice and put it into a bottle and added a specific amount of a specific vinegar to it. I did this three times with varying amounts and vinegar flavors. The bottles were labeled #1, #2 & #3 and I wrote down the recipe. After few hours of refrigeration, Andre and I will taste and document. For Andre this will be a blind test. He is the one who introduced me to shrubs after having one in a bar in the pacific northwest. I have only tasted my own shrubs with the guidance of some research. It will be interesting to see what we come up with and if we can connect on the characteristics of the shrub results and if this one stands up. In another week we will test them to see how and if the infusion has changed.